Tuesday, January 6, 2015

LIFE DRAWING: Sol Art : Letraset Markers + Charcoal

I've been trying to use a new tool every session, and today some letraset markers. I think I see potential to use it for tone but for line I'm not a big fan:

1 minute gestures (A4 size)





Longer poses worked better since I had the time to put in some mid-tones, I also had a few drawings where I started to push the proportions of the model a bit. She has pretty thick legs, and overall just very physical.


Also had a pose with a back....I just hate looking at a back with no dynamic lightning. So I tried some armstudies.

I had a bad time using charcoal on long poses, but for the arm studies I used the side of the brush on an A3 sheet, definitely like the markmaking.

Below is a 20 minute pose with charcoal I really dislike, upper torso has some good moments but I think I tried to use the charcoal stick as a pencil which is just not working because of the chunky end. I'd either need to do less detail and maybe come in with a charcoal pencil for detail, or euhmm..just go back to using pencil for slow drawings :P


I really like the 2 charcoal drawings below, first one was really quick followed by a 10 minute pose. Most drawings that end up really bad are drawings where I start to draw the face...that's he reason I'm doing headstudies lately, it's an area I am not confident in.


I might continue a bit with charcoal, but I'll also be going back to pencil drawings and maybe some long poses to study the figure instead of focussing on gesture.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been very much into cartoons. But your life drawing studies here and the cat walking
    project on your other blog I find fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for dropping a comment Patrick, I saw you have yourself a really nice life drawing blog aswell, always good to find people with the same passion! I'll drop you a comment once I had a good look at your work :)

    ReplyDelete